Picture by Tenee Attoh
Jan Miřacký is an experienced landscape and travel photographer based in Prague, Czech Republic. His passion for exploring and photographing has brought him to over 35 countries worldwide and still counting.
He leads photography and adventurous tours worldwide. When he is not traveling, he shows his home city of Prague to other photographers and mentors them on Johnny’s Prague Photo Tours. He also organizes photography courses and workshops in Prague, where he founded a local photography club and is a co-founder of the Czech travel agency named Zirhamia.
Jan jumped into photography when he was 14 years old after discovering a book about digital photography from his friend. This moment has impacted his life ever since. His first digital camera didn’t have a colorful LCD screen, autofocus, or more than 1,3 megapixels, but it did not discourage him, and he kept on shooting.
As he learned and improved, he was offered to contribute to a photography section of one Czech printed magazine one day. He accepted. In 2011 he started working at the Institute of digital photography in Prague as a photographer’s assistant, and the same year his parrot shot ranked 8 in the local National Geographic contest.
Two years later, he made his dream come true and visited Iceland. A few months after that, he exhibited his collection named Beauties of Iceland. That year he made his first money as a photographer from sales of fine art prints and licensing his imagery through the world’s major stock agencies.
He has always been very fond of traveling, but only in his early 20s he fully developed his passion. He documented interesting places worldwide to show his family and friends something they might have never seen in their lives. Over time, photography becomes an inseparable part of his travels.
Nowadays, Jan organizes tours worldwide and guides people to some memorable destinations like Alaska, Myanmar, Peru, or Iceland. He sells fine-art prints of his pictures. In Prague, he frequently teaches photography workshops and courses on various topics, including landscape photography, travel photography, long-exposure and night photography, etc.
Are you organizing a photography tour in the Czech Republic or Prague and looking for a local photographer to help you get things ready and perhaps help you guide your clients in the city? I am your man!
Contact me with details regarding the project’s scope, and hopefully, we will come up with the right arrangement.
Photography is not about gear that much, but people ask me what I shoot with often, so I decided to list my equipment here.
- Sony A7R II
- Sony FE 16-35 mm f/4 ZA OSS Vario-Tessar T*
- Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS
- Sony FE 50 mm f/1.8
- Sony FE 70-200 mm f/4 G OSS
- Sony FE 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS
- Sony FE 1.4x Teleconverter
- Carbon fiber tripod Benro C-268M8 + ball head Benro B-1
- Carbon fiber tripod Benro C-0691EX + ball head Benro BH0
- Kase Wolverine ND and GND filters and K100 slim filter holder
- Think Tank Photo Perception Pro backpack
- Lowepro Flipside Trek BP 250 AW backpack
- Lowepro Flipside Trek BP 350 AW backpack
- Apple Macbook Pro 15″
- Apple iPad Pro 10.5″ with Apple Pencil
- Adobe Lightroom Classic CC 2020
- Adobe Photoshop CC 2021
- LRTimelapse 4
- Lived 5 months in Tampere, Finland
- Speaks English, Spanish, German, Czech
- Has never been to Paris or London
- Likes venomous snakes, but never owned one
- Doesn’t like mushrooms
- Loves extremely spicy food, especially Thai cuisine
- Is not a morning person
- Has never had a bone broken
- Enjoys going to punk rock gigs